Before the great factories,
before the docks and warehouses transformed the landscape, Ringsend had another commodity at the heart of its
prosperity — salt. In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth
centuries, the humble crystals that seasoned food and preserved meat and fish
helped create an industry of remarkable scale, bringing employment, investment
and wealth into the community.
Names such as the Page family, Ambrose Burges, Robert Roe and Flower
& McDonald became closely associated with Ringsend’s salt
trade. Their enterprises were part of a thriving industrial world that
stretched along the waterfront, where salt was processed, stored, transported
and sold.
And this was no small local
enterprise. By the 1840s, the salt
industry was employing around 2,000 people in Ringsend — an
astonishing figure that gives some idea of its importance to the community. For
generations of local families, the salt works were not simply places of
employment; they were woven into the economic and social fabric of Ringsend
itself.
But how did a substance that seems so ordinary today become such an important source of employment and prosperity? And what was life like for the thousands of men, women and families whose livelihoods depended upon Ringsend’s salt industry?
To answer those questions, we need to step back into a Ringsend very different from the one we know today — a busy industrial community where the waterfront was alive with workers, carts, boats, warehouses and the unmistakable presence of an industry built on salt.
In 1730, The Dublin Gazette printed an advertisement stating,
‘Whereas the Salt Works at Ringsend
where Mr Burges (the late famous undertaker and builder of the Salt Works)
formerly made the best of salt, are now made by his son Ambrose Burges.’
Ambrose,
Senior had originally been a merchant and druggist in Donnybrook before
becoming a pioneer of salt production in Ringsend, then in its infancy in
Ireland. The area where today’s Ringsend Park is located were described as
‘salt marshes’ on numerous maps. Ambrose Senior died September 8th,
1732, and his son took over the complete running of the business. By 1748 there
were two major salt works located north and south of the River Liffey in
Ringsend and Clontarf.
Salt
has been important in the preservation of fish and the curing of meat for
centuries. Salt production dates back to early China and the Romans used salt
as a payment option leading to the word ‘salary’ from the Roman word for salt,
‘sal’. Ringsend salt was refined from seawater gathered in salt marshes and was
becoming more in demand across Europe.
In the 1760’s the larger of the salt works was
being run by Robert Roe, but his success was attracting more competitors to
Ringsend. Access to Ringsend was via a bridge across the River Dodder. That
bridge was washed away in 1782 by a flood and a replacement wooden bridge,
built in 1786, was itself washed away by flood waters just a year later. In 1787, Roe was instrumental and the main
source in financing the rebuilding of the Ringsend Bridge over the Dodder but
his efforts proved a short lived as other bridges as it too succumbed to a
flood in December 1802. The stone bridge that it used today replaced the
previous wooden structures and opened in 1812.
Roe
had died on March 29th, 1795, and the business was leased by the
owner of the Ringsend Tavern on Bridge Street, John Howard and his business
partner in the salt works was Thomas Bray. In 1801 Howard put his tavern up for
sale and exited the business following a legal dispute with Bray’s brother
Michael. Howard would buy another tavern in the centre of the city after
leaving the maritime village. In 1814,
Robert Roe’s son puts the Salt Works up for sale.
By
the early nineteenth century, salt production in Ringsend becomes even more
important as there was a major revival of the fishing industry in the village
with the arrival of fishermen from Torbay in the southwest of England. In October 1826, The Liffey Salt Works, as it
became known, a new but smaller works competitor as compared to the Thorncastle
Street plant in Ringsend, was located at the corner of Pigeon House Road. In
1826 it was put up for sale following the death of the owner Charles Pentland. Pentland
was from Townsend Street and operated the Hibernian Marine Society on
Rogerson’s Quay. The Society was set up to educate and look after orphaned
children of seafarers. The sale included ‘valuable buildings, dwelling house,
stables and extensive stores and warehouses’.
The business was producing 3000-4000 tons of salt annually. By December
1827, it had still not been sold. The problem was the cost of producing the
salt. Seawater was heated to evaporation point and the salt crystals were the
commodity that remained. The amount of coal needed to reach the temperatures to
create the salt became extremely expensive and with the bottle making industry
in Ringsend also demanding coal for production, the coal was in high demand. In
the mid nineteenth century, the rise and efficiency in production of rock salt
also affected the value of the sea salt.
By
1835 a ‘Salt Works’ was located at the end of today’s Cambridge Avenue and
today’s York Road. It was being operated by James Hill. In 1840, The Evening
Post reported,
‘The poor of that very impoverished
town called Ringsend are reduced almost to the worst state of human misery by
the curtailment of the demand for Irish manufactured salt occasioned by the
import of white salt from England at a rate which Irish manufacturers cannot
produce the article’.
The
newspaper stated at the height of the Ringsend Salt works up to 2,000 were
directly or indirectly employed in the salt business in the three main works.
On March 5th, 1842, James Hill was declared bankrupt.
The
biggest salt works on Thorncastle Street was opened by Theophilus Page (b.
1784) and wife Margaret Cummins. The opened their salt works in 1826. Theo died
March 6th, 1837, with his son William Henry Page taking over. William was a bit a ‘cad’ as they might say
in upper-class English life. He married Joanna Quinlan in 1838 and a year later
their first child William John arrived. A number of children followed including
Mary Genivieve in 1840, Clarina in 1846 and an unnamed child in 1850 who died
shortly after her birth. According to family research William abandoned his
wife and children in 1850 and by March 1851 he is listed in the UK census as
living near Norwich, Norfolk. The story is somewhat foggy after that, but what
is known is that Joanna gave birth to Anna Martha Page in 1852, but that Joanna
died just two years later on November 22nd 1854. In January 1855 in
the Boston Pilot newspaper in the United States the following announcement was
printed,
‘November 22nd at the
Ringsend Salt Works, Dublin after a protracted illness Mrs W. Page deeply
regretted by all acquainted with her admirable discharge of her duties as a
wife and a mother.’
William
then almost immediately married Thirza Ann Rouse in Norfolk on January 14th,
1855, and was barely a year married when he died in February 1856
By
1850 between the cost of production, the competition from cheaper salt maker in
the United Kingdom and taxes, the salt industry in Ringsend was in serious trouble.
The three manufacturers in 1850 were William Page, Patrick Kelly and on
Fitzwilliam Street, James Pommeret saw his business taken over by James Cusack
in 1850.
By
1851, Page had a business partner, Daniel Pallin, he was a salt and coal
merchant on North Earl Street. Pallin was also described in merchant
directories as also a ‘soap boiler and chandler’. He was in business with Page
and they had offices at 141 Lower Baggot Street next door to Grants public
house, today known as Toners.
With
Page gone, his business on Thorncastle Street in 1859 was taken over by Mrs.
Ellen Egan, who was advertising her Ringsend Salt Works and they were not only
producing Irish salt but also importing cheaper salt from Norwich Salt Works.
Delivery is available by ship, canal boat, train or efficient horse and cart.
Egan’s family own the original Yacht Tavern lower down on Thorncastle street
where today’s Yacht is based. In 1861,
The Egan’s salt works was being operated by William Shaw, who had a showroom in
Talbot Street.
The
writing however was on the wall. In June 1870 the Thorncastle Street buildings
were for sale following the bankruptcy of Samuel Shelly, this was partly due to
a police constabulary report on the state of the Ringsend Salt works which were
described as ‘in a filthy state, horse manure, mire and night soil lying in
heaps.’ The bankruptcy notification in January 1871 stated that Shelly was in
partnership with Robert Falk of Runcorn and William Powell of Liverpool of
‘Samuel Shelly Jnr and Company’.
One
of the final salt works as this valuable industry died quietly in Ringsend was
the Irish Salt Works operated by James Flower & Thomas McDonald on the site
formerly owned by Willaim Page but by now there was very little production in
Ringsend, Flower and McDonald according to records has two operating pans but
were importing most of the salt into Ringsend, packaging it and selling it on.
The
Ringsend salt industry lasted less than 150 years but like glass production,
boat making and fishing, it provided livelihoods to 1000’s in a village that
census records showed a population of less than 2,500. In the mid nineteenth
century when Ireland was suffering from the catastrophic effects of famine and
disease, Ringsend was spared the worst as work, fishing and a true village
spirit pulled Ringsend through. However, the salt industry in Ringsend no
longer provided certainty of employment and as a result many who worked in the
various salt works in Ringsend, packed their bags and emigrated across the
Atlantic to America. According to Onondaga Historical Association in New York,
it was thanks to those Irish salt workers who arrived in the 1850s turned the
Syracuse salt works into one of the most successful in the United States that
by the 1870s, Onondaga produced 90% of the United States salt.
So
next time you are in Ferrari’s or Ianelli’s and they ask if you want salt on
your one and one, remember how important salt was to the economy of Ringsend.
In
our next post we will take a closer look at the early St. Patrick’s Church in
Ringsend, why, who and when. The original church lasted from 1858 to 1910 and
has an interesting and at time complicated history.











